Window Cord Safety
When it comes to your home, nothing should come in the way of safety. Cords on window treatments can provide a choking hazard to children and pets, which is why we offer a variety of features and options designed to help ensure the safety of your loved ones.
The Safest Solution for Children and Pets
- Cordless lift and motorized lift options offer ultimate safety‒eliminating the standard cord that could strangle children or pets
- Tension pulleys and tie-down devices help keep continuous-loop pull cords taut
For additional information on child-safe window treatments, please review the guidelines below or talk with your Vitale Window Treatment Expert.
Window Cord Safety Guidelines
The Window Covering Safety Council urges parents and caregivers to check all windows for potential cord hazards and use the following guidelines to ensure your home is safe:
- Install only cordless window coverings in bedrooms and sleeping areas for young children
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture, and toys away from windows and cords, preferably to another wall
- Ensure tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall. Keep cords out of reach of young children by installing and using cord cleats
- Cord stops must be properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill
- Replace blinds, shades, and drapes manufactured before 2001 with products that meet updated safety standards
- If replacement is not possible, repair window blinds, corded shades, and draperies manufactured before 2001 with retrofit cord kits, available by emailing windowcoverings.org or calling 1-800-506-4636